Saturday, September 18, 2010

More pictures from our 1st week...

This is our 'salon' or living room, taken from the door of the apartment. Most salons have 'froshs' (beautifully covered, backless couches w/ cushions) all along the walls.






Taken from the window seen in the previous picture. These are the 'petite' taxis that zip around the city proper. They are all red in Fes and I've heard that each city has its own particular color for their petite taxis. It is against the law (and is enforced) to have more than 4 people including the driver in the taxi at one time. They are pretty cheap and have a meter that is accurate. School is about a 25 minute walk; a taxi ride costs 5 dirhams (9 dirhams to 1 US dollar). I try not to think 'oh - that's only about 50 cents' because I get paid a whole lot less here but most people can afford occasional taxi rides. There are buses too but I haven't been brave enough to try one of those. Everybody shoves and pushes and some (more gutsy than I'll ever be!) hang on to the outside. There don't seem to be any rules attached to bus riding nor any clear direction as to where the bus is going...

3 comments:

  1. You write so well jennifer, I am going to enjoy your blog very much. Keep it up. :) Your house is so open and tidy, sorry about the couch but maybe someone thought you wanted american. I like your ensemble, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bathroom is green tile - top, sides and bottom with a green sink, toilet and tub - like a cool grotto. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that my Mom, as a world traveler with MUCH experience, is often correct in observations. Her Morocco comment? (Not "that is SO far away" or "aren't you worried?" ) But "They have beautiful tiles in Morocco." (: I love this comment. A woman who appreciates beauty. (: A wonderful God-given perspective.

    ReplyDelete