Monday, August 2, 2010

Specifics...

Some of you may be a bit confused because until a month ago, we were heading to China to teach English in a university setting. Others had no idea we were going anywhere, so here's what's up...

Nuka and Kesh were graduating this year and going to college, leaving Naveen and I to hold down the family fort. I talk a lot - Naveen doesn't and the home landscape was looking bleak. We've always had tentative family plans to go abroad but life interfered. This time around, after checking with the Power That Is, we began taking actual steps toward spending the 2012/2011 school year Somewhere Else.
First on the horizon was an opportunity in China, teaching English, but after quite a bit of preparation, the Chinese university decided at almost the last minute to only employ teachers from last year, leaving the new recruits without Chinese options.
AND THEN...
Someone who knew someone mentioned to someone else... Coincidentally (not), we were available and willing and excited and yah - you know how it is. The perfect fit!

I will be teaching in an American school in Fes (yep - where the hats come from) and Naveen will be attending the same school for his junior year. The school was started in 2004 by an American couple and graduated its first 5 students last year. It's small - about 150 students. Naveen will be the oldest EFL (English as a first language) student. I will be teaching preschool and compiling a curriculum that aligns with the rest of the school. Those of you who know me well know how much this pleases me!!

Check out the school's website at www.americanschoolfes.com

16 comments:

  1. What a blessing your friendship is to all of us Petes & Re-Petes...following with the great anticipation of the ways that God will lead you...expecting fezzes for Christmas presents!...you are loved, dear Jenny and rugged Nuveen, by the Creator...
    Go with God today and be a blessing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I don't know what I am doing my post will apparently show up as anonymous until I can figure out how to post without joining something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Jen,
    I guess I got it.
    Wishing you blessings upon blessings as you follow God's path for your life. It will be an adventure, enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to do something like you and Naveen are, but not quite the risk taker to leave everything behind. GOod Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so totally happy for you! Go with God my two little friends. We love you. Art and me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom... Don't bring me back anything unless its free...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jennifer! I found your blog info in the Pioneer article and I signed up anonymously because it makes me seem mysterious...in much the same way that wearing the hijab at Mazetlan makes one feel mysterious. I look foreward to reading all about your adventures. --L.F.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jennifer, How is Morocco? This is Joy on Megan's account. Hope all is going well. Look forward to hearing all about your adventures.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Naveen of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dido to what Amar said! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to believe you are so far away! Isn't technology wonderful? How are you? Has school started yet?

    Take good care and God bless.

    Love,

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sept 22, 2010 - Your house is still good. Saw the kids mowing the lawn 2-3 days ago. It's still green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless you, Bobbie!!! Nice to know I have a lawn AND that it's being mowed. That probably means the dishes are being done too and that they are eating regularily... =)

    ReplyDelete